IN 1837, THE REV. ROBERT G. HAYS organized the first Episcopal Church in the city of Wetumpka. The church was consecrated as Christ Church and was one of the first eight Episcopal churches organized in the state of Alabama. However, Christ Church in Wetumpka ceased to exist in 1850 due to the political unrest and lack of members. The present church, consecrated as Trinity Episcopal Church was organized in 1947.
While using the Presbyterian Church for services, the first building was constructed. This church building, located on Austin Lane, was consecrated by Bishop Claiborne in 1949. The first Vicar was the Rev. Dr. Vernon McMaster. In 1958 a small parish house was added.
In 1969, the members decided that the church needed to expand. Due to the obscure location of the church and inadequate room for growth, it was suggested that the church needed to acquire property in a prominent location. A committee from the church asked Admiral Henry Crommelin and Captain Quentin Crommelin if they would donate the present property for the church. About the same time, the cottonseed warehouse of the Cantelou-Law Cotton Gin, where the present Wetumpka library is now located, became available. This building was purchased by a couple in the church who had it moved to the donated property. Time, labor, and financial resources were donated by members of Trinity as well as others from the community. Architectural items used in the church and parish house were also donated.
On May 16, 1971, Bishop Stough consecrated the building, which was debt free. The stained glass windows were added as memorials to loved ones through the years. The educational building was completed in 1996. The chapel, which had been in Carter House, was moved into this building along with the church offices, a larger kitchen, library, Sunday school rooms, and a nursery.
On October 12, 2008 ground was broken for the construction of a new nave and sanctuary with a seating capacity of 300. This new 5,037 square foot building was consecrated on October 31, 2009. The building incorporates architectural elements and furnishings from both the previous sanctuary, as well as the original building located on Austin Lane. The historic bell, installed in the new bell tower, was cast in 1867 by the Blake, Hooper & Revere Foundry of Boston, Massachusetts. Blake was an apprentice under Paul Revere and later became a partner of Paul Revere, III, grandson of the patriot.
From humble beginnings and 14 founding parishioners, the parish has become a thriving community with more than 220 members. Our prayer is that the church family will, with the grace of God, continue to grow.